BURNS, Ore. - Seven Washington residents - including 5 children - died in a crash Monday morning on a remote stretch of Oregon highway while en route to Las Vegas on a trip celebrating the end of the summer.
The crash happened around 10 a.m. on Highway 78, southeast of Burns.
According to Oregon State Police, Mark Robert Rundell, 48, of Prairie City, Oregon, was westbound in a 1999 Toyota 4Runner when his SUV veered into the other lane and collided with an oncoming 2016 Toyota 4Runner.
The crash killed Rundell and the driver of the other SUV, identified by police as Erika Carter Boquet, 29, of Tacoma, Washington.
All 6 of Boquet's passengers died in the crash.
Police identified them as:
- Kyla Marie Brown, 28, of Olympia, Washington;
- Isabella Earlene Boquet, 11, of Tacoma, Washington;
- Elisabeth Ann Boquet, 8, of Tacoma, Washington;
- Tytis Michael Boquet, 6, of Tacoma Washington;
- Arianna Marie Brown, 10, of Olympia, Washington;
- Xavier King Johnson, 2, of Olympia, Washington.
The Boquet family and a relative and two other children were headed to Las Vegas on an end-of-summer trip, family members told OregonLive.
"It's a tragedy I wouldn't wish on anyone else," Erika Boquet's brother, Jessie Tate of Spanaway, Washington, told OregonLive.
He said the family has created a GoFundMe page to help with funeral costs.