Homes destroyed by Chetco Bar Fire; evacuation orders in place
CURRY COUNTY, Ore. - Three homes on Cate Road in the Gardner Ridge area have been lost to the nearly 92,000 acres Chetco Bar Fire burning out of control in southwest Oregon, the Curry County Sheriff's Office said.
Officials have scheduled a community meeting at Azalea Middle School (505 Pacific Ave) in Brookings on Monday, Aug. 21, at 6 p.m. following Sunday's evacuation order for the Chetco Bar fire.
Curry County Sheriff's Office issued a mandatory evacuation (Level 3) order Sunday that includes an area from the junction of Hightway 101 and Carpenterville Road north to the Pistol River, and east to the previous Level 3 evacuation areas. (See map above)
The sheriff's office will continue to evaluate the need for additional evacuation orders as necessary to protect public safety.
There is no shelter in Brookings.
Officials say strong winds Sunday and overnight pushed the fire to the south and west. The present perimeter of the fire is in the vicinity of Nook Bar west to Ransom Ridge and north to Bosley Butte.
Structure protection equipment will focus their work around homes.
Unstable atmospheric conditions seen for the past several days will ease as a different weather pattern moves into the area, officials say.
An infrared flight estimated the size at 91,551 acres. The fire is zero percent contained.
There will be significant smoke this weekend in the Brookings and Harbor areas as a result of the fire.
Air quality will fluctuate between "moderate" and "unhealthy for sensitive groups" in Brookings. For more information about air quality, visit the Oregon Smoke Blog.
Due to mandatory evacuations and heavy fire traffic travelers are encouraged to avoid highway 101.
An area closure is in effect in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness in addition to the trail closures in place. Before you head out into the woods this weekend check Inciweb or the Rouge River Siskiyou National Forest (RRSNF) homepage for all closure orders including those that pertain to the Chetco Bar Fire.
The Red Cross housed approximately 50 people in the Gold Beach Red Cross shelter Sunday night at Riley Elementary School (94350 6th St) in Gold Beach.
Information on Red Cross shelter assistance:
* Individuals and families in need of shelter assistance may simply show up at the shelter for help.
* People facing evacuations and in need of shelter assistance may call (888) 680-1455.
For information on the Chetco Bar wildfire:
* Residents in Curry County who have a landline will receive emergency notifications via that number.
* Residents who do not have a landline or want to receive notifications on a cell phone must sign up for Emergency Alerts. To do this, go to the Curry County website or visit https://member.everbridge.net/index/89280773623773#/login
* Residents in need of fire information may call the Chetco Bar Fire Information Line at: 541-247-3680
* Residents facing evacuations should make arrangements to move property and livestock. Caged animals and livestock can relocate to the Curry County Fairgrounds (event center at the beach). For more info on livestock relocation to the fairgrounds, call 541-425-1821.