Macklemore, sit! Survey reveals Seattle's top dog names in 2018
SEATTLE - Our dogs are more than just pets - they’re members of our families. And so we name them carefully - just like we would a family member.
But, as is the case with human names, dog names are subject to trends. Some names lead the pack while others wind up in the dog house.
Favorite dog names also vary from one city to the next, according to a nationwide survey by Rover.com, which bills itself as the the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers.
In the Seattle area, we seem to prefer familiar, friendly names - with a self-indulgent nod toward hipness. Here are the top dog names for 2018 in Seattle, according to Rover.com:
Seattle's Top 5 Male Dog Names
Seattle's Top 5 Female Dog Names
The survey also found other trends in how Seattle-area residents name their dogs:
- Seattle famous: Names inspired by notable locals, like Bruce Lee and Macklemore, are up 300 percent this year.
- Coming in cool: Hipster names like Granola and Tofu rose 15 percent in Seattle.
- International flavor: Global foods inspired Seattle dog people. Some favorites were Noodles, Kimchi and Sushi.
Some national trends also emerged in the survey of favorite dog names:
- Retro names like Minnie, Pearl, Willie, Harry and Fred were popular.
- Some favorite music idols moved up the list. Cardi toppped the charts with a 1,250 percent increase, Freddie Mercury was up 67 percent and Gambino rose by 190 percent.
- Dogs named after popular villains were up by 18 percent. Favorites were Loki, Bane, Sid, Anakin and Lex.
- Dogs named after royal families were up 11 percent. Top monikers were Sophie, George, Prince, Charlotte and Harry.
- Some 5 percent of all dogs were named after favorite dishes, with a 12 percent increase for brunch names like Biscuit, Cinnamon, Muffin and Waffles.
- Dogs with booze-themed names were up by 17 percent. The top ones were Whiskey, Porter, Guinness, Brandy and Amber.
If your dog's name is not on the list - don't despair. It could be there next year.