Sheriff: 19-month-old boy may have eaten LSD on Oregon Country Fair grounds July 4

More than 18,000 fairgoers enjoyed the sunshine and festivities Saturday of the 47th annual Oregon Country Fair, a sustainable non-profit arts fair held on a wooded property in Veneta, Oregon featuring hundreds of performers, artisanal vendors and interactive installations. (Photo by Tristan Fortsch)

VENETA, Ore. - A 19-month-old boy ingested a substance suspected to be LSD while on the Oregon Country Fair grounds days before the event opened to the public, the Lane County Sheriff's Office said.

The Oregon State Police crime lab is testing the substance.

The Sheriff's Office received the call around four o'clock on the Fourth of July.

The parents found their boy with a piece of tinfoil with dots resembling LSD, Sgt. Carrie Carver said.

The parents told authorities their child started acting strangely afterwards.

RELATED | 45,000 attend Oregon Country Fair | 14 DUII arrests made near Fair

White Bird Clinic medical staff were on site at the Fair grounds, general manager Tom Gannon said.

"Our protocols I think carried us through, and the child is to my understanding now just doing just fine - back with his parents and perfectly healthy," he said. "The child received the care they needed. We got emergency services here. And went off to the hospital and now he's doing just fine."

The child was initially taken to Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in Springfield and later transported to Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland, according to the sheriff's office.

The fair is a drug and alcohol free event.

"We do not tolerate it here on our grounds," Gannon said.

Medical staff on site before, during Fair

The Oregon Country Fair has contracted with White Bird for about 30 years.

While the Fair is set up before even opening to the public, they have rotating medical staff of about 5 to 6 people, including emergency medical technicians, registered nurses and physicians.

White Bird provides on-site care during the Fair, too.

"Essentially for the price of a ticket you can have a doctor visit," Gannon said. "That's one of the ways that we demonstrate how much we really care for the health and safety of our patrons."

Was it LSD?

“Other than the history provided by the parents (as described by LCSO), there was nothing about the patient's clinical presentation to specifically support or refute the assertion that the medical emergency was caused by a drug ingestion," White Bird said in a press release. "A number of potential causes fit the presentation, of which drug ingestion is only one.”

Doctors say the tell-tale signs of children ingesting drugs include slurred speech, trouble walking, and abnormally dilated or constricted pupils.

“If their child is just acting very goofy or different and they just intuitively know that something's wrong, call the poison control number," Peace Health pediatrician Dr. Kevin Marks said.

Oregon Poison Control: (800) 222-1222

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off