Oregon Air National Guard plans F-15 flyovers for Albany, Roseburg on Veterans Day
SALEM, Ore. - The Oregon Air National Guard will conduct flyovers of Veterans Day events in Oregon on Friday.
Passes will be 1,000 feet above ground at 400 mph.
- 11:12 a.m., Veterans Day Observance -- Salem, Oregon
- 11:13 a.m., Veterans Day Program -- Keizer, Oregon
- 11:15 a.m., Veterans Day Ceremony - Mt. Angel, Oregon
- 11:32 a.m., Veterans Day Parade -- Roseburg, Oregon
- 11:45 a.m., Albany Veterans Day Parade -- Albany, Oregon
Veterans Day, formerly known as Armistice Day, honors the end of World War I, which officially took place on November 11, 1918.
In legislation passed in 1938, November 11 was "dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be hereafter celebrated and known as 'Armistice Day.'" As such, this new legal holiday honored World War I veterans.
In 1954, after having been through both World War II and the Korean War, Congress amended the Act of 1938 by striking out the word "Armistice" and inserting the word "Veterans" to honor American veterans of all wars.