Lane County Community Events
Springfield Public Library Events
- Teen program: Learn to Draw Steampunk Art: Every Tuesday, 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM, FREE , intended for teens. Hang out, enjoy a snack, learn new skills, and have fun. (Meeting Room)
Springfield Public Library, 225 Fifth Street, Springfield
Eugene Public Library December Events
- Family Music Time: FREE every Saturday at 10:15 AM
- Dog Tale Time: FREE every Saturday, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, intended children from kindergarten to sixth grade to build skills by reading to trained dogs in fun, short one-on-one sessions. Dogs and handlers come courtesy of PAAWS (Project Canine and Pet Partner teams). Pre-register starting one week in advance.
- Family Fun!: FREE every Sunday at 2:30 PM
Downtown Eugene Public Library, 10th & Olive, Eugene
Hult Center Shows
On Sale Now!
- Zapp Dancers: StoryStruck | February 18
- Damsels, Divas & Dames | March 25
- Chefs' Night Out | April 4
- Soromundi Sings Broadway | May 20
Hult Center for the Performing Arts, One Eugene Center (7th Avenue at Willamette Street), Eugene
Lane Events Center February Events
- Midtown Throwdown 10: January 28, Performance Hall, www.midtownthrowdown.com
Lane Events Center At the Fairgrounds, 796 W. 13th Ave., Eugene
Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art: Winter Events 2017
- Free First Friday: February 3, March 3, April 7. Enjoy the JSMA with free admission the first Friday of every month.
- First Saturday Pubic Tour: February 4, March 4, April 1. Enjoy a 45-minute tour of highlights from the museum’s’ collection and current exhibitions with a docent. Free admission.
- February 1, noon: Involuntary Movements
- February 1, 6:00 PM: Polyphony and the Sublime
- February 2, 5:30 PM: Sandow Birk’s American Qur’an: A New Dawn for the Koran
- February 3, 3:00 PM: Dancing in Damascus: Creativity, Resilience, and the Syrian Revolution. Book signing at 3 p.m., lecture at 3:30 p.m.
- February 8, 7:00 PM: Schnitzer Cinema, Two films by Manfred Kircheimer: Stations of the Elevated and Claw
- February 10, 5:30 PM: Aesthetic Dimensions of Sandow Birk’s American Qur’an Project
- February 11, 2:00 PM: Arab Refugees in Our Midst: Terrorism, Bigotry, and Freedom
- February 16, 4:00 PM: Play Reading: “The Fruit Stand” by Sravya Tadepalli. Followed by a talk-back with the playwright and others
- February 25, 2:00 PM: A Conversation with Clay Lohmann, Dr. Henry Sayre, and Danielle Knapp
- March 1, 5:30 PM: Whose America? Stories of Immigration, Citizenship, & Religion
- March 8, 7:00 PM: Schnitzer Cinema, A Kaddish for Bernie Madoff. LOCATION: Redwood Auditorium, EMU
- March 9, noon: Betrayal and Unity: Law, Religion and the Bernie Madoff Scandal. Location: 142 Law School
- March 10, 12:30-1:30 PM: ¡Presente! Art and the Disappeared
- March 10, 5:30 PM: Sandow Birk’s American Qur’an. Followed by conversation with Sandow Birk
- April 12, 5:30 PM: Kent Rush: Artist’s Talk
- April 12, 7:00 PM: Schnitzer Cinema, Same Streets, Different Worlds featuring a Skype Q&A with Jem Cohen
- April 15, 11:00 AM - noon: Reception: NewArt Northwest Kids
- April 15, noon - 3:00 PM: Family Day: Landscapes, Seascapes and Vistas. NANW Kids Reception 11-12. Spend this free family day with art activities, museum tours, and performances.
- May 3, 5:30 PM: Curator’s Talk: Mark Tobey and the Calligraphic Line
Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art,1430 Johnson Lane, Eugene
The Emperor of the MoonFebruary 2, 3, 4 at 8:00 PM
February 5 at 2:00 PM
$10 Adult | $8 Seniors 65+ | $8 UO Faculty/Staff | $8 Non-UO Students | Free for UO Students
Restoration farce written by Aphra Behn in 1687, based on Italian commedia dell'arte. Behn's second most popular play (after The Rover), with a fun plot and musical accompaniment – spectacular, timeless entertainment.
University of Oregon, Hope Theatre, Eugene
Peter and the Starcatcher
February 3 – 19, 2017
Thursday, Friday, Saturday performances start at 8pm
Sunday matinees start at 2:30pm
Tickets are $25 Adults, $15 Youth (ages 6-18)
Peter and the Starcatcher provides a fantastical backstory for the century-old character of Peter Pan in this wildly theatrical adaptation of Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson’s best-selling novels.
OSU Extension Service Sponsors Pruning Classes in Lane County
January and February 2017 classes are as follows:
- January 28, Saturday, 10 a.m. – noon. Pruning: Tree Fruits and Blueberries (hands-on), Urban Farm, University of Oregon, north of campus, off Franklin Blvd, park in the Physical Plant parking lot (meet in the garden).
- February 6, Monday, 12:30-2:00 p.m. Pruning: Roses (hands-on), Viking Sal Senior Center, 245 W. 5th Ave., Junction City.
- February 7, Tuesday, 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. Pruning: Roses, River Road Park, 1400 Lake Drive, Eugene. (Indoor class, call 541-688-4052 to register).
- February 11, Saturday, 10 a.m. – noon. Pruning: Tree Fruits (hands-on), GrassRoots Garden, 1465 Coburg Rd., Eugene (behind St. Thomas Episcopal Church).
- February 16, Thursday, 10– 11:30 a.m. Lecture, Noon-2:30 p.m. (hands-on). Pruning: Roses, Owen Memorial Rose Garden, 300 N. Jefferson, Eugene (meet in parking lot).
- February 21, Tuesday, 1-3 p.m. Pruning: Tree Fruits (hands-on), GrassRoots Garden, 1465 Coburg Rd., Eugene (behind St. Thomas Episcopal Church).
- February 25, Saturday, 10 a.m.-noon, Pruning: Roses (hands-on), Pioneer Cemetery, 18th & Harris Street on UO campus. (Meet at the flag pole at the center square of the cemetery. Access through driveway at the T junction of Harris and 18th. Note small green sign for Pioneer Cemetery access.)
- February 28, Tuesday, 6-8 p.m., Pruning: General pruning and Ornamentals (indoor class). OSU Extension Service – Lane County, 996 Jefferson Street, Eugene (enter on 10th at the ramp).
Pre-Registration is requested for all pruning sessions. Classes will be held rain or shine.
For more information or to register for a pruning class call the number noted for the specific class, or for all other classes call the OSU Extension Service – Lane County office at 541-344-5859.
A $10 donation per person is recommended for classes and will be collected at class site.
Lane County 4-H Host’s Free Winter Workshop Series for Youth
Saturdays from 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
All workshops are held at the OSU Lane County Extension office in Eugene.
The full schedule follows:
- Jan. 28: Quick Bread Making – Pumpkin bread, Zucchini Bread, and more!
- Feb. 11: Nature Based Center Piece Creation!
- Feb. 25: Knitting Basics – Make Your Own Washcloth!
- Mar. 11: Prepare your Spring Garden!
- Mar. 25: Food Preservation: Learn How to Make Jam!
- April 8: Experience Fine Arts like Never Before!
Each workshop has a maximum capacity of 20 students, so RSVP today to reserve your spot by contacting Emily McDonald-Williams, (541) 344-5043, Emily.email@example.com
6th annual "Florence Crab Crack"
4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Florence Events Center, Florence
December 1st tickets go on sale! Past Crab Cracks have all sold out, so, get crackin’, and get your tickets.
Enjoy Oregon Coast crab along with pasta, coleslaw, garlic bread, sodas, coffee and dessert by BJ's. A no-host bar will be available. There will also be a silent auction held during the event that will include a beautiful selection of items.
Ticket price is $35 per person. Advance purchase is required. Only 400 tickets will be sold and the deadline to purchase is January 25th. There will be no ticket sales at the door. All proceeds will benefit the hunger relief efforts of Florence Food Share (www.florencefoodshare.org), an emergency and supplemental food pantry serving individuals and households in West Lane County.
For more information, to arrange group seating or to purchase tickets contact Bob MacDuffee at 541-997-9599 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets also are available (after December 1st) M-F, 10am to 1pm at Florence Food Share, 2190 Spruce St., 541-997-9110
Philomath Scout Lodge-Heart to Heart
6:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Prime Rib dinner (includes 2 beverage tickets), over 100 silent auction items, "Wine Wall".
660 Clemens Mill Rd., Philomath
Singing Valentines Fundraiser
February 13 - 14
8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Make this Valentine's Day special! Surprise your special someone with a unique Valentine serenade! A quartet from the award-winning Greater Eugene Chorus will present your gift at your recipients home, workplace, or favorite location. This is a fundraiser for the chorus and a chance to hear some wonderful harmonies. The Greater Eugene Chorus is booking deliveries for February 13th and 14th. Place your reservation today!
- Option 1: A heartfelt song, a Valentine's mug with chocolate and handcrafted decorator card for only $35.
- Option 2: A Deluxe Valentine which includes a deluxe basket of goodies, a handcrafted decorator card and a two Valentine song serenade for $50.
- Option 3: An audio valentine, delivered by phone, for only $10.
Lane County Area
Doggie First Aid Class
What do you do if your dog eats some stevia, is bit by a ... ? what to do in the following seconds may save your dogs life. Retired firefighter, Wayne Winter, who has not just read about how to do first aid and CPR but has hands-on experience with people and pets will teach a 2 hour doggie course. You will learn a lot in the class, how to react to emergencies, plus how to put together a pet/people trauma kit that you can put together yourself or buy from Winter.
Receive a certificate at the end of the class if you do the right tricks. Winter also gives a lot of fun interesting information about dogs. Sign up while there is space available!
Location: TBA, Eugene
To reach our Community Calendar Coordinator, please email: LaneDouglasCoosCommunity@sbgtv.com