Coos County Community Events
Cooking the Books - Book Club
Second Friday of Every Month | 11:30 AM-12:30 PM
Each month will feature a food theme. Participants can check out a cookbook that fits the theme, try a few recipes, and prepare their favorite dish for the meeting. During the gathering participants will discuss the cookbook they used and taste everyone's creation.
Coos Bay Public Library, 525 W Anderson Ave., Coos Bay
541-269-1101 | www.coosbaylibrary.org
First & Third Wednesday Every Month
- Beginning Fiddle Class | 6:30 PM
- Intermediate Class | 7:35 PM
The music room at Harbor Lights Middle School has been generously donated to use for instruction.A $5.00 donation to the OOTFA Scholarship Fund is suggested per lesson, and membership in the Oregon Old Time Fiddlers in encouraged which allows many musical opportunities. Loaner fiddles are also available to members. Help us keep the “Old Time” music going and those Old Time Fiddlers Fiddling!The Oregon Old Time Fiddlers Association is a non-profit organization which was founded in 1964 with the sole purpose of promoting, preserving and perpetuating old time music. It is with that intent and focus that the District 5 chapter of OOTFA is offering fiddle lessons.
Harbor Lights Middle School, 390 9th Street SW, Bandon
For more information, call Dawn at 541-347-4561 or Jolly at 541-347-2229
Oregon Oldtime Fiddlers: Summer Series
Performances the 2nd & 4th Friday of each month | 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM | FREE (Donations greatly accepted)
- June 23
- July 14 & 28
- August 11 & 23
Come and listen to a wide variety of Old Time music. A fun event for the whole family. Nestled in the trees, the Amphitheater is a most enjoyable setting. Bullard’s Beach is one of Oregon’s mostly beautiful State Parks, so please join us for an evening of Old Time Music .
Bullard's Beach State Park, Bandon
Crabbing Around Charleston | June 17 | 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM | $5/person
- Learn about the amazing life cycle of crabs, their importance to our local economy and learn various techniques for harvesting them. Meet at the Charleston Visitor Information Center. Register for this event on our Facebook page.
See listing above for location | Charleston | 541-888-5558 ext 121 | Facebook Page
Meet the Authors! Reading & Book Signing with local authors Sharon Lovie and Michael Boehme
June 15 | 6:30 PM | Free
Coos Bay authors Sharon Lovie and Michael Boehme will give a free reading from their books at the North Bend Public Library. Lovie's new book is her autobiography "Outside my Attic Door". It provides a poignant look at the author's life, and shows how she found the strength to overcome many challenges in her family. Lovie grew up on the south coast. She has published many poems and essays in anthologies and a book of poetry, "Parading Thoughts".? Michael Boehme will be reading from his book, "A Dog That Needed a Home". This event is free and open to the public in the library's large meeting room.
North Bend Public Library | North Bend | firstname.lastname@example.org | 541-756-0400
SPANGLISH! Conversational Program
Once a Month on Saturday | 10:30 AM - 12:00 PM
- June 17
Come to the library and practice speaking Spanish in an informal, friendly setting and help others improve their skills. This is NOT a class but ideas for conversational topics will be provided. Attendees will have the opportunity to converse with a group in Spanish for 90 minutes. Beginners welcome!
Coos Bay Public Library, 525 Anderson Ave., Coos Bay
541-269-1101 | www.coosbaylibrary.org
South Coast Regional Early Learning Hub Meeting
Meetings held Monthly:
- June 21
- July 19
- September 20
- October 18
- November 15
- December 13
SCREL will hold a regular meeting to consider the following business:
- Previous meeting minutes
- Any other business with the permission of the hair.
The meeting is accessible to persons with disabilities. If you need special accommodations please contact 541-435-7746 at least 48 hours before the meeting.
TBD/Elcebronic, Coos Bay
email@example.com | 541-435-7746 | www.orcca.us
American Cancer Society - Coos County Relay for Life - Relay on the Bay!
June 24 | 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Walking - participants will be able to walk the "track" sidewalks around the outer edge of vendors and teams
Relay Schedule of activities:
- 12:30-2:00 Survivor Tea - Main Tent
- 2:30-3:00 Tug of War and frozen t shirt contest
- 3:00-5:00 Live music by Border Patrol on the main stage
- 5:00-5:30 Flea Market Flip known as Relay By The Bay Yard Sale Transformation - see info below for description
- 5:30 - 6:00 Best baton and Best table - Judging and the announcement of the winners
- 6:00 - 7:00 MissTer Relay Contest - Relay teams will have a pageant contestant enter in the contest. Contestant's will answer a few questions, wander into the crowd and try to raise money - whoever raises the most money wins.
- 7:00-7:30 Layered clothes game - Relay teams will race against each other to put clothing items from a box on there person before the other team
- 9:00 - 9:30 Luminara Ceremony (Luminara's will be for sale at the main tent area for $5.00 each)
- 9:45 - 10:00 Closing Ceremony
Downtown Central - Coos Bay
North Bend Public Library:
- Please visit the website for a list of current library events.
- Adulting 101: Moving out? | July 17 | 4:30 PM | Free | Focus on moving out for the first time.
North Bend Public Library, 1800 Sherman Ave., North Bend
Coos Bay Farmers Market
Every Wednesday | Now - October | 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM | Free
The Coos Bay Farmers Market features over 60 vendors and provides the community with fresh locally grown produce, eggs, honey, meat, baked goods, roasted coffee, flowers, body care products, handmade craft items, ready-to-eat food and much more!
Historic Downtown, Coos Bay
firstname.lastname@example.org | 541-266-9711
Shore Acres Events 2017
Rose Sunday/Father’s Day at Shore Acres State Park – June 18
- Treat dad and family to a delightful day at Shore Acres. In the Garden House, members of the SouthWestern Oregon Rose Society will have a display of cut roses and information about growing roses . The park is open from 8 am to dusk and the Garden House will be open from 11 am-4 pm with refreshments provided by the Friends of Shore Acres.
Bonsai Day at Shore Acres State Park – August 19
- Treat your family, friends and visitors to a delightful day at Shore Acres. In the Garden House, members of the Bay Area Bonsai Society will have a display of bonsai plants and information about growing bonsai plants. The park is open from 8 am to dusk and the Garden House will be open from 11 am-4 pm with refreshments provided by the Friends of Shore Acres.
Dahlia Day at Shore Acres State Park – September 23
- Treat your family, friends and visitors to a delightful day at Shore Acres. In the Garden House, members of the Southern Oregon Dahlia Society will have a display of cut dahlias and information about growing dahlias. The park is open from 8 am to dusk and the Garden House will be open from 11 am-4 pm with refreshments provided by the Friends of Shore Acres.
31st annual Holiday Lights at Shore Acres - Thanksgiving thru New Year's Eve, 4:00-9:30 Every Night
- At least 325,00 Lights; Garden House open with hot cider, punch, coffee and cookies
Shore Acres, GPS address: 89039 Cape Arago Hwy, Coos Bay, OR 97420 | 541-756-5401
email@example.com | www.shoreacres.net
The Boys & Girls Club of Southwestern Oregon will host Safety Town 2017
July 17-21 | Registrations are now open for morning program, 9:30 AM -11:30 AM | $15/per child
The week long program introduces 4-6 year olds to safety professionals and teaches basics of fire, water, search and rescue, school bus, pedestrian, and bicycle safety. The program is $15 per child if registered by July 1, and includes a graduation t-shirt. Registration forms are available online at www.great-futures.org, at the Boys & Girls Club office, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under the guidance of Club staff and volunteer teen instructors, children will learn and practice their safety lessons within a miniature city. Participants are visited by community safety professionals from the Coos Bay Fire Department, Bay Cities Ambulance, Coos 911 Dispatch, Coos Search & Rescue, Coast Guard Auxiliary, Mid-Columbia Bus Company, Coos Bay Police Department, and more.
The Boys & Girls Club of Southwestern Oregon, 3333 Walnut Ave., Coos Bay | 541-267-3635
To reach our Community Calendar Coordinator, please email: LaneDouglasCoosCommunity@sbgtv.com