MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Pet snakes die after East Side home catches fire

Several pet snakes died in house fire on Kayton Avenue (SBG San Antonio)

Several snakes died after the East Side home where they were being kept caught fire Saturday morning.

Fire crews were called to a home on the 500 block of Kayton Avenue around 10:50 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters said the homeowner owns, raises, and sells ball pythons and that a warming blanket for one of the snakes inside a 100-gallon aquarium inside the home shorted out, sparking a fire.

Firefighters put out the fire quickly, and the fire was contained to the bedroom where the aquarium was located.

Several of the snakes apparently died from smoke inhalation. Details about how many other snakes were inside the house and their conditions were not released.

Firefighters at the scene were waiting for Code Compliance officers to arrive.




Trending