Wondering how to escape the heatwave in Eugene?
EUGENE, Ore. – As temperatures rise, it’s important to stay cool and to know where to go if your house gets hot. On Friday, the temperature is expected to reach a high of 106 in Eugene.
The City of Eugene has several air-conditioned facilities open for the public to beat the heat.
All three Eugene Public Library locations are air conditioned. The current hours of operation are:
- The Downtown Library, 100 West 10th Ave., is open 10 a.m. - 8 p.m., M-Th, and 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. F-Su
- The Bethel Branch Library, 1990 Echo Hollow Rd., and Sheldon Branch Library, 1566 Coburg Rd., are open 12 p.m - 8 p.m. Tues, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. M,W,Th,F & Sa; closed Sundays.
The City operates five community centers that are air conditioned. The hours of operation and locations of those centers are:
- Amazon Center, 2700 Hilyard St., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., M-F
- Campbell Center, 155 High St. 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., M-F
- Hilyard Center, 2580 Hilyard St., 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., M-F
- Petersen Barn Center, 870 Berntzen Rd., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., M-F
- River House Center, 301 No. Adams St., Noon - 4 p.m., M-F
There are also three pools in Eugene that invite the public to cool off. The city says Sheldon and Echo Hollow pools are open most days for lap and recreational swimming. Amazon Pool is open for lap swimming every day. The pool locations and phone numbers are as follows:
- Amazon Pool, 2600 Hilyard St., 541-682-5350.
- Echo Hollow Pool, 1655 Echo Hollow Rd., 541-682-5525
- Sheldon Pool, 2443 Willakenzie Dr., 541-682-5314
Spray play areas are a popular way to help kids stay cool. They are located in the following parks:
- Skinner Butte RiverPlay Playground- closed for maintenance until August 1