Heat wave in the forecast
EUGENE, Ore. - With temperatures in the 90s in the forecast, people will be looking for ways to cool off.
The City of Eugene issued a press release during the last heat wave inviting people to cool off in air conditioned libraries, community centers, swimming pools and parks.
All three Eugene Public Library locations are air conditioned. The hours of operation are:
The Downtown Library, 100 West 10th Ave., is open 10 a.m. - 8 p.m., M-Th, and 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. F-Su
The Bethel Branch Library, 1990 Echo Hollow Rd., and Sheldon Branch Library, 1566 Coburg Rd., are open 2 p.m - 8 p.m. Tues, 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. W & Th, and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. F & Sa; closed Sundays.
The City operates five communities centers that are air conditioned. The hours of operation and locations of those centers are:
- Amazon Center, 2700 Hilyard St., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., M-F
- Campbell Center, 155 High St. 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., M-F
- Hilyard Center, 2580 Hilyard St., 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., M-F
- Petersen Barn Center, 870 Berntzen Rd., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., M-F
- River House Center, 301 No. Adams St., Noon - 4 p.m., M-F
Amazon, Sheldon and Echo Hollow Pools are open for recreational swimming daily.
For more information on pool schedules and fees, go to www.eugene-or.gov/recaquatics or call the numbers, below.
The pool locations, hours of rec swims and phone numbers are as follows:
- Amazon Pool, 2600 Hilyard St.; M-Su: 2-5 p.m.; MW 6:30-8:30 p.m. 541-682-5350
- Echo Hollow Pool, 1655 Echo Hollow Rd.,M-F:1:10-3:40 p.m.;7-8:30 p.m. M-F; Su: 1:15-3 p.m., 541-682-5525
- Sheldon Pool, 2443 Willakenzie Dr.M-F:1:40-3:40 p.m.; MW 7:35-8:30 p.m.; F:7:30-8:30 p.m.; Sa: Noon-2 p.m.
Spray play areas in City parks are a cooling resource, as well. Spray play areas are located in the following parks:
- Skinner Butte RiverPlay Playground