MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Fire officials remind space heater users to practice safety

According to Fire Marshal, always check your space heater cord is not damaged and avoid using extension cords on December 5th, 2017 at Fire Station 1 in Eugene, Ore.{ } (SBG)

EUGENE, Ore. -- Cooler temperatures hitting the area are increasing the use of space heaters to keep warm.

However, those heaters can be dangerous - just last March a tragic fire killed a Douglas County family of five in in Riddle.

The fire was found to be caused by flammable material too close to a space heater.

Eugene Springfield Fire Marshal Merryl Harrison wants to make sure everyone keeps safe and warm as temperatures begin to drop.

“We may have a wet shirt or a towel that we might simply place on top of a space heater, forget about it, thermos switch comes on or the portable heater is still left on, and now we have a recipe for fire,” Harrison explained.

According to Harrison, the best thing to do is get a certified heater that meets US safety standards.

Plug the heaters into an undamaged wall outlet and avoid using extension cords and running them under a rug.

Harrison says the materials that are found in homes are much more flammable than they were 30 years ago, which is another reason to be careful when using space heaters.

Trending