MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Fire at Eugene home likely caused by ashes in plastic bucket; 2 people displaced

(MGN Online image)

EUGENE, Ore. -- Fire crews battled a house fire overnight in Eugene.

According to officials with Lane Fire Authority, the initial call came in around 2:10 a.m. about a reported double-wide home that caught fire after a bucket of ashes was cleaned out of a wood stove and left on the porch in a plastic bucket.

Officials said the ashes probably burned through the plastic bucket.

Eugene-Springfield Fire responded along with Lane Fire Authority.

Two residents live in the home but only one was home at the time.

A firefighter injured their ankle while putting out the fire, but officials say they’re okay.

The home is unlivable, said the Red Cross, who sent disaster responders around 4 a.m.

The Red Cross provided resources to help address the immediate basic needs of those affected such as temporary housing, food, clothing, comfort kits, information about recovery services, and health and mental health services.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending