Beat the heat! Here's where to chill in Western Oregon with scorching weather on the way
A heat wave this week can pose a risk to people's health.
If you need a place to cool off, local cities and communities are offering places to enjoy A/C and get out of the sun.
As temperatures rise this week, the City of Eugene invites individuals to cool off in air conditioned libraries, community centers, swimming pools and parks.
All three Eugene Public Library locations are air conditioned. The current hours of operation are:
• The Downtown Library, 100 West 10th Ave., is open 10 a.m. - 8 p.m., M-Th, and 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. F-Su
• The Bethel Branch Library, 1990 Echo Hollow Rd., and Sheldon Branch Library, 1566 Coburg Rd., are open 12 p.m - 8 p.m. Tues, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. M,W,Th,F & Sa; closed Sundays.
Lap swim and rec swim times over the weekend are as follows:
• Amazon Pool:
• Lap Swim: Monday-Friday 5:30-9 a.m. and 10:50 a.m.-6:15 p.m.; Saturday 7:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 2-5 p.m.; Sunday 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 2-5 p.m.
• Rec Swim: Daily 2-5 p.m., Monday and Wednesday 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Parent/Child Swim: Daily 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., Monday-Thursday 5:30-6:30 p.m.
• Echo Hollow Pool:
• Lap Swim: Monday-Friday 5:30-8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m. and 6:30-8:30 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Rec Swim: Monday-Friday 1:15-3:15 p.m. and 7-8:30 p.m.; Sunday 1:15-3 p.m.
• Sheldon Pool:
• Lap Swim: Monday-Friday 5:30-6:30 a.m., 7-8 a.m., 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and 5:15-6:30 p.m.; Saturday 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Rec Swim: Monday-Friday 1:30-3:30 p.m.; Monday and Wednesday, 7:35-8:30 p.m.; Friday 7:30-8:30 p.m.; Saturday 12-2 p.m.
The City operates five community centers Monday through Friday that are air conditioned. The hours of operation and locations of those centers are:
• Amazon Center, 2700 Hilyard St., 9 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F
• Campbell Center, 155 High St. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., M-F
• Hilyard Center, 2580 Hilyard St., 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m., M-F
• Petersen Barn Center, 870 Berntzen Rd., 9 a.m.-5 p.m., M-F
• River House Center, 301 No. Adams St., Noon-4 p.m., M-F
Spray play areas in City parks are a cooling resource, as well. Spray play areas are located in the following parks:
• Skinner Butte RiverPlay Playground
In Springfield, Willamalane has designated both the Bob Keefer Center and Willamalane Adult Activity Center as cooling centers.
Bob Keefer Center, located at 250 S. 32nd St., features a large lobby area for people to sit and relax while they cool off. The center is open from 6 a.m. – 9 p.m., Monday – Friday; 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Saturday; and 12 p.m. – 5 p.m. on Sunday.
Willamalane Adult Activity Center also has a large lobby area with ample seating accommodations and cooling air conditioning. The Adult Activity Center, located at 215 W. C St., is open on 8 a.m. – 9 p.m., Monday – Thursday; 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Friday; and 9 a.m. – noon on Saturday.
In addition to the cooling centers, Willamalane’s has pools available.
Splash! at Lively Park, Splash! offers Waterpark swims, which includes a wave pool, water slide, family activity pool, hot tub, lap pool and kiddie pool on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 1 p.m. – 8 p.m., and Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday from 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. Additional hours in the mornings and evenings are available for lap swimming and water exercise. Splash! is located at 6100 Thurston Road in Springfield.
Willamalane Park Swim Center is also a great place to cool off and fit in some exercise. The Swim Center features an eight-lane, 25-yard lap pool, an accessible deep-water pool with diving boards and a shallow wheelchair accessible play and exercise pool with a waterslide. For exercise, the Swim Center is open 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Monday – Thursday; 5:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. on Friday; and 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday. For recreation swims, hours are Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. The Swim Center is located at 1276 G Street in Springfield.