5 ways to beat the heat at the Olympic track and field trials
EUGENE, Ore. - The Olympic track and field trials at Hayward Field continue through June 10 and the forecast calls for a lot of sun.
With the heat, the crowd, and the excitement, it's important to stay cool while enjoying the events. Luckily, organizers planned plenty of ways to make sure everyone beats the heat while enjoying the events.
Five ways to avoid heat exhaustion at the trials:
- Enjoy a cool treat from one of the many food vendors on E. 15th Avenue. The street is lined with booths. Lochmead Farms is scooping up cold bowls and cones of ice cream. You can choose your flavor and toppings for an ideal sweet treat. You can also pick up a bowl of flavored shaved ice. Choose your flavor and size and cool your body from the inside out.
- This year, Olympic trials organizers made a strong push for sustainability. They established several water bottle fill stations around the event, giving guests a chance to fill bottles rather than buy them. EWEB also set up a fill station of its own on Agate Street.
- If you notice your skin getting hot, but you forgot sunscreen, fear not. The American Red Cross has booths on E. 15th Avenue and Agate Street. Stop by to apply a free layer of sunscreen before the sunburn sets in.
- The turf fields behind Hayward can radiate heat, but if you visit the other side of the stadium, you'll find a shady place to sit. Tables and chairs line Agate Street below tall trees, giving visitors the perfect place to enjoy their food and avoid the sun. If these tables are occupied, check out the canopy tables near the Rio Beach Café. There, you can even put your toes in the sand.
- Believe it or not, there is even a place to find air conditioning at the trials. Stop by the Nike Experience on the turf fields and enter a bubble of cool air. The exhibition will take you back in time for a look at early Nike sneakers. You can see their latest projects and even sign up for a running competition.
Don't let the heat keep you away from the TrackTown experience. There are plenty of ways to escape the sun and protect your health while visiting Hayward Field.